4 February 2007

Heaps of feathers are a different thing

There is no delight in coming across something like this.

I wish I knew more about birds and could identify it; any help to do so would be most welcome.
I will post a list of birds of Kangaroo Island (one day) and work my own way through it, to see if I can work it out.


Lorikeets are one of a number of very common birds in the area, but there is still no joy in coming across the remains of one looking like this ...
... or this.

On the other hand, I am told that the local goannas eat birds and eggs, and there is a Wedge Tailed Eagle nest about a kilometre away, so perhaps it might have made a meal for a valued (indigenous) critter.

A feral cat is a more likely hunter though, in these cases, I believe.

2 comments:

Snail said...

Would cats have much of a chance to snag a rainbow lorikeet? I'm hoping it was the eagle (or some similarly magnificent bird of prey). I'll pack up some of our spare rainbow lorikeets and semd them your way. They've taken over here.

Shorty CreeKI said...

They are a pest here in the Adelaide Hills too. There are rosellas too, I would not know how to tell the difference just on feathers.

I would LOVE to think you are right ... and perhaps that IS so. There was no sign of anything other than feathers; is that significant, do you think?