4 February 2007

Feathers; another detour

Walking the creek and spotting feathers of one sort or another is another neat "distraction" from the main interests (water, rocks, reflections ... insects, oh and yes, birds :))



Although it ought not be so, major determiners of my interest include that the subject be still. I am learning to take photographs and the birds defeat me almost absolutely. I now have a new camera, courtesy of a gift. Unlike the previous one, it takes photos without a full second time lag between pressing the button and catching the image and that has been a huge encouragement ... no more empty frames because the object flew, crawled or hopped away.

Now I just have to learn to get closer to them, so that they are more than tiny dots of colour against the sky or foliage.
(Please consider it an exercise in "figure-ground perception")
:)

The galahs are marvellous birds; noisy and gregarious with a sharp, even shrill call. Unfortunately if you want to creep up on the area they will soon let all the other birds know that you are there, by calling and wheeling around above you ...

and no, I don't know how I did this ... there were two in the picture last time I looked.

If I try again, this one will probably fly away as well.
:)

No comments: